Media.net a Directi company, powers the Yahoo! Bing Network Contextual Ads program and is a leading global contextual advertising company that provides a wide range of advertising and traffic monetization solutions. Our diverse client base includes web publishers with premium content as well as registrars, hosting companies and holders of high value domain portfolios. We aim to consistently deliver long-term superior performance by using leading-edge technology, high-quality research, and proprietary processes that allow us to display the most precisely targeted, highest paying sponsored links and ad topics. We serve our contextual real-time ads customized for each visitor and each page view across billions of visitors, across 10’s of millions sites/domains on a server infrastructure that runs 1000+ CPUs, terabytes of RAM, and 1000’s of terabytes of data.
What is the job like?
As a Sr Developer in the Search Engineering area, you will lead product engineering efforts of multiple areas of our intent discovery secret-sauce and work with world class R&D teams to develop game-changing search and text inference algorithms that will help millions of internet users discover what they are looking for.
Our Search/Ad Platform involves myriad technologies, diverse platforms, complex algorithms and latest application paradigms such as NoSQL databases, eventual consistency, distributed queues and are deployed across hundreds of servers in a super-scalable fashion where a 10ms delay in response time could mean the difference between success and failure.
In a this role you will manage/work with a team of energized developers, and will be responsible for the entire lifecycle of one or more areas, including architecture, design, coding, deployment etc.
We believe that ‘code speaks louder than words’ and as such expect everyone at every level in the engineering team to be comfortable with rolling up their sleeves, firing up their favorite IDE and writing clean, testable and well-designed code.
Who should apply for this role?
- You have mastered multiple platforms and – whether it is SOAP vs REST or Ajax vs Flex or Postgres vs MySQL or Cassandra vs Voldemort – you know when to use which and can argue all the pros and cons of Strong typing vs ease of use OR browser compatibility issues vs lack of community support OR MVCC vs multiple backend storage engines OR scalability vs simplicity etc.
- You continue to be very involved in technology and still check-in code.
- You are passionate about automated testing, good design, performance and scalability. You have exceptional oral/written communication skills, excellent logical reasoning and a keen sense of business.
- You can deliver good software with a kick-ass user experience, at a rapid pace.
- You have 5 – 8 years of software development experience (The more core-Java focused the better)
- You have a track record of working on scalable applications, preferably at a major internet property or well known startup
- You have a good grasp on programming fundamentals including OOP, Design Patterns, Algorithms, Data Structures, Networking and OS Concepts
- You are familiar with relational databases, experience of writing complex queries (we use MS-SQL/MySQL)
- Search Experience a Plus (Solr/Lucene, Fast Search, Autonomy, GSA, Endeca, etc)
- You can exhibit a passion and enthusiasm for remarkable technology (Knowledge and contribution to open source projects, Active Blog, etc…)
- You have the ability to learn emerging technical standards and apply/coach development team in proper adoption
- As an individual – it's in your nature to question why things are the way they are.
- Bonus points if you have knowledge of the interior workings of various search platforms (Lucene), Hadoop/Mahout experience, Natural Language Processing or Machine Learning experience and you wrote your first program on a ZX Spectrum (Add extra points if you still own the wicked cool box ).
Benefits & Perks
Our excellent benefits include everything from great medical and life insurance to catered meals. Our workspaces are comfortable and fun, complete with bean bag chairs, ping pong tables, and all the snacks you can eat. We have no dress code (tee-shirts are a-ok!). We have flexible work hours and flexible holidays, which means that teams pick their own work hours. Media.Net has its own concierge desk that doubles up as a travel agency. If you like the idea of working in an exciting workspace on cutting-edge internet products that make a truly global impact (and wearing flip-flops to work), then we want to get to know you!